Husband and wife team, Mike Schnelle and Nancy Irelan, opened the winery in Penn Yan on Seneca Lake in 2005. They have New York's first LEED certified winery. Specifically their wine-processing building has a LEED silver certification.
Red Tail Ridge's "green" features:
- New wine processing building aims for LEED Silver certification.
- Walls contain recycled materials.
- Fieldstone on facade came from vineyard grounds.
- Geothermal heating/cooling system.
- ‘Daylighting’ to cut energy use.
- Use of suppliers within a 500-mile radius.
- Drainage ditches, drain tile and irrigation pond minimize storm runoff.
- Laser-straight rows planted 6 feet apart aid in cultivation and weed control.
- Fencing and nets deter wildlife humanely.
Good Karma is their charity wine that donates ten percent of the profit from each bottle to their regional food bank, Foodlink that redistributes the funds to a foodbank in the state where the bottle was purchased. It is a Riesling and Chardonnay blend.
This wine has concentrated aromas of apricot and grapefruit rind, with a hint of vanilla. Lush texture on the forward palate, with flavors of clover honey, orange oil, lime and quince followed by a tart citrus finish.
- [www.redtailridgewinery.com Official Website]